The Nagaland government has granted an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh each to the next kin of the deceased persons of Mon killing incident. 14 civilians were killed in firing incident in an area between Tiru and Oting village in Mon district on Saturday evening. One security personnel was also killed in the incident.
Nagaland Transport Minister Paiwang Konyak on Sunday night handed over the ex-gratia to the Village Council chairman.
Paiwang Konyak told India Today TV over phone that ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh was given to the victim’s families and Rs 50,000 to the injured persons.
“On Saturday evening, 13 civilians were killed in an area between Tiru and Oting village and one civilian was killed on Sunday evening at Mon town area. Two critically injured persons have been admitted at Assam Medical College and Hospital, Dibrugarh and three others were airlifted to Dimapur for better treatment. Few others are now in Mon hospital,” Paiwang Konyak said.
Nagaland DGP T John Longkumer has filed his report on another incident of violence that claimed the life of a civilian on Sunday, December 5. He said the violence broke out after ‘confusion’ concerning the date of the mass funeral service for those who were killed in Saturday’s firing incident.
The bodies of the deceased had been shifted to Mon Town from Oting on Sunday for the funeral but it was postponed to 10 am on Monday. “However, no clear announcement was made on the postponement of the funeral service. This led to confusion among the crowd that had gathered for the funeral service at the Helipad in Mon town,” the report said.
Before marching to the Assam Rifles camp, the mob had vandalised the Konyak Union Office, the report stated.
On Saturday evening, security forces had opened fire on civilians in Nagaland’s Mon district in two consecutive incidents. At least 15 civilians and one jawan died in the incidents.