In a big development, the Indian Army on Friday announced that disengagement in another friction area along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) has been completed.
“As an outcome of the 12th round of military talks, India and China agreed on disengagement in area of Gogra in eastern Ladakh,” the Army said in a statement. “Indian and Chinese sides ceased forward deployments in Gogra in a phased, coordinated and verified manner,” it added.
The Army informed that all temporary structures and other allied infrastructure created by both sides along the LAC has been dismantled and mutually verified.
“Landform in Gogra has been restored by both sides to pre-standoff period,” the statement read.
The Army said the disengagement began after the commander-level talks and the process was carried out over August 4 and 5. Both sides are now in their respective permanent bases, the Army statement said.
As per the Army, the agreement reached between the two sides will ensure that the LAC in this area will be strictly observed and respected by both sides. Further, it will also be ensured by both sides that “there is no unilateral change in status quo”, the statement read.
“With this, one more sensitive area of face-off has been resolved. Both sides have expressed commitment to take the talks forward and resolve the remaining issues along the LAC in the Western Sector.
“The Indian Army along with ITBP is totally committed to ensure the sovereignty of the nation and maintain peace and tranquility along the LAC in the Western Sector,” the Army added.
The 12th round of military talks between the commanders of Indian and Chinese armies was held last Saturday at Moldo, on the Chinese side of the LAC in the Ladakh sector. During the talks, an agreement was reached to resolve the standoff at Hot Springs and Gogra on the Line of Actual Control.
Earlier this year, India and China had successfully disengaged at Pangong Tso (lake) in eastern Ladakh. The LAC standoff had begun in April-May last year. On June 15, Indian and Chinese troops had clashed in Galwan Valley – India had lost 20 soldiers in the hand-to-hand combat while China, officially, counted four deaths among its personnel. However, Indian and other global intelligence assessments put the Chinese toll around 40.